Wednesday, November 5, 2008

OUR New President


I'm so excited about the upcoming presidency I can hardly contain myself! We have been so wrong for so long about so much! While it's obvious that America is not 100% ready to treat a Black man as an equal, what happened at the polls yesterday and last week has given me a sense of relief and hope that I haven't had since I was a child, ignorant to the bigotry and hate that still exists in our nation. No matter how many minorities showed up to vote, we could NOT have done this without White voters. That's first. So please don't look at this as a victory over White people. Look at this as a victory over hatred, ignorance, and passivity.

I woke up this morning and saw a little bit of CNN's coverage of people across the world celebrating our choice of leadership. What an impact our nation has on the lives of so many around the world! People who have never even visited this country! Our economy fails and people all across the globe go hungry. We go to war and the most powerful nations across the world will risk the lives of their own sons and daughters to fight by our side for our cause. Even if we have wasted their lives for nothing. Our charitable contributions dwindle and millions go without. It is so easy to be seen as a negative figure in the eyes of the world. Too easy. So this makes me so proud right now that we can shine as a positive example for those who still endure injustices due to hatred and misunderstanding. Even if it turns out to be temporary. A Black man will be the leader of the free world!

I am most proud of our decision not because he is a Black man. But because he is an AMERICAN. We CHOSE an American. He RAN as an American. I thank him SO MUCH for not running as a BLACK American. Even if he won it would have taken so much away from the victory. I can't explain why. Perhaps it's because I feel that it's more important for voters to elect a Black man as one of us; as opposed to electing him to "give a darkie a chance". More important for us to trust a man to lead us into the next few years, regardless of his skin color, rather than pretend to trust him BECAUSE of his skin color. I want this moment to be historical, but not sensational. I want it to be seen as progressive, but not as a blind leap. I want it to represent change, but not revolution. I may be asking too much.

I want black people to see Barack Hussein Obama not as our savior, but as proof that we had already been saved.

No comments: